Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Portrait of Words-# 18

It was a foggy day on the mountain

when little Amanda Rathers
decided to go looking for a rainbow and its treasure.


She knew it was out there somewhere because her grandfather or Gruump as she called him had told her it was and he never , ever, lied. He was the greatest man in the world and had even flown over the farm in hot air balloon
and had waved to her. As she started on her adventure she wished she had a balloon like that.
She had hear her daddy talking about how money was short and he couldn't get the new buildings he really needed

so she was going to find the treasure for him. She really wanted daddy to be happy. At first she thought of selling her little brother but her parents seemed to like him.

So she gave up that idea and decided to find the treasure.
She had gone as far as the fence when the old owl hooted and she ran back to the house.
Perhaps tomorrow if the sun was shining and the fog was gone she would try again.
Her grandfather who had watched her go to the fence and run back turned to her father and said " Don't you ever wonder what goes on in the little head of hers?"

Of course the dragons were busy today you can see them HERE.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Dr. John. This is fantastic. You just never know what kids are thinking. Very well done. I enjoyed this. :)

Nessa said...

This was so great. I think you never grew up to know a child's mind so well.

Susan at Stony River said...

LOL This is so wonderful! It took me back years to all the 'adventures' I had as a kid---and then, yes, how often do I watch my own kids and wonder what they're thinking. This was brilliant all over, I loved it.

Stephen said...

The story about the little girl looking for a treasure at the end of the rainbow was very nice. Reading it made me feel like I was a little kid again, and like I was really there.

Stephen from Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
http://stephen-has-spoken.blogspot.com/