Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Apple Chips

wordle
Jientje at Heaven is in Belgium, hosts these picture idioms.

Apple of My Eye:
Someone who is cherished above all others.
( Which of course is Betty)
The saying originally meant the central aperture of the eye, presumably because apples were the most common sphere-shaped object around.
It first appeared in Old English in work attributed to King Aelfred (the Great) of Wessex, AD 885, called Gregory's Pastoral Care.

and

A Chip On Your Shoulder:
Being upset for something that happened in the past.
The phrase 'a chip on one's shoulder' is reported as originating with the nineteenth century U.S. practice of spoiling for a fight by carrying a chip of wood on one's shoulder, daring others to knock it off.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the first one. That's so cool and so you :) Well done on both of them my friend :) Have a great Wednesday :)

Jientje said...

Hahahaha, I can SEE your Betty is the apple of your eye!!!
I can always see you two have fun with this! Thanks for playing Dr John, I loàve it!

Unknown said...

Very good! I enjoy your creative take on these two idioms.

Gattina said...

Hahaha ! that apple looks really yummy !

RA said...

Very creative idiom shots! Have a wonderful week, Dr. John :)

Melli said...

LOL! You look GOOD behind that apple! But that apple doesn't LOOK like Betty -- she's much prettier! (although that IS a nice looking apple...)

Ohhhhhhhh chips and shoulders do SO not go together! I think onion dip is much better!